Spacethumper

An update on the Defender thing: after the latest windows update, all is well. Microsoft doing Microsoft things. We knew that already, but I figured I’d at least mention that the issue seems to be resolved.

7 Likes

Hello!
I would like to complement this game and say that it is really fun! I absolutely enjoy playing this game. I also really like to attempt to play the game on harder difficulties, they are quite fun! The art is really lovely and I really like that the sprite sheets are editable. The sound effects are very cool and I really like the character personalities. Keep up the excellent work!

5 Likes

I can’t find the “Spacethumper” folder to put the sprites anywhere on my computer

Edit: Found the problem:
I was launching the game for the first time on a new computer. You need to start a new game, then create a save for the folder to appear.

1 Like

Looking through the save files again, I remembered a question I didn’t ask last time:

What does “Prestige” do? I changed the values a few times, thinking it affected passive energy gain, similar to size, but it doesn’t… Nor have I seen it do much of anything.

Prestige sounds like it has something to do with when you choose to start over instead of teleporting to the ship. If you modified it and didn’t notice anything different, maybe it was dummied out at some point or kept as debugging info.

Ah, that one is mostly a case of a vague label that the use of got changed in later versions but I didn’t want to change the name and break saves. It’s basically the timer that informs enemy spawning/difficulty that resets every prestige level.

1 Like

Little idea for the future, but what if there was a randomized world generation? Such as different places where the steam holes can spawn or crystal deposits. Additionally, maybe we can have something like going to different worlds for each teleport? Unsure if it was ever mentioned, but it was worth a shot.

Also, I’m sure plenty of people has asked already, but it doesn’t hurt to mention again… maybe we could have additional sprites added in the future? We already have the suit research to increase capacity, speed, etc… If there’s ever a sequel or remake to this game, it’s definitely something to take into consideration, at least in my own opinion.

6 Likes

It feels like the reactors output the same amount of power regardless of upgrades. As in, with the maxed-out energy collection range, 5 level 1 reactors are on par with three level 3 reactors, with both setups taking up the same amount of space. If you do end up doing something that has the same gameplay, I’d suggest making upgrades more exponentially rewarding, like making a 2-width generator make 2.5 to 3 times as much as the 1-width predecessor so you can’t just spam unupgraded buildings with less time investment (and the same result) compared to getting everything maxed out. I dunno, what I’m saying is that if there’s a sequel I’d like the growth to be exponential rather than linear.

5 Likes

Want to start off by saying STELLAR WORK SO FAR!!! There’s so much that I love about this little game, the character animations and sound effects hit just right for me. Though I do have a few suggestions for expanding this idea a bit.

First, I like the idea of the different power generators, but unless there’s a mechanic I’m missing (I’ve played tourist, will play normal later) there’s not much point to them once you know what you’re doing and gunning right for fusion reactors and just upgrading and clustering those together. Perhaps a way to encourage diverse power sources even in later stages would be for each to have their own strength and weakness. With solar panels you could have a day-night cycle with their power generations linked to the time of day. Looks like you already have this idea with wind and steam, with the wind appearing to stop sometimes and keeping steam to one source on the map. Fusion could be made to consume a certain amount of crystals per second to keep functioning with the option to turn them off entirely if you’re trying to grind crystals. Maybe with the wind and solar you could build junctions to link multiple turbines or panels to a single point of charge (though I don’t know if that breaks the “only her suit has power distribution” rule we have here, or how it effects the absorb range upgrade).

Second is more strictly my opinion, while you have a good prestige setup with the player getting taller. If you ever wanted to revise it, you could have them pass the mobility issue with a hover feature upgrade to the suit to go EVEN BIGGER. With the upgrades going a level higher to entire wind and solar farms and fusion factories. Maybe have their plan go from overshooting the size of their existing ship to building an entire new colony sized ship for them to get off the planet! (maybe BS some reason why she still needs to be the battery to a new ship).

Again, I reaaaly love this! Keep it up!

8 Likes

My opinion and thoughts of this game are mainly summarized up here!

I would also propose an expansion to the slimes that threaten your machines. With the current state, slimes only come from the sides, leading to walls and turrets being set up consistently just near the sides and being left alone. If, say, a specific type could teleport past certain sections of walls entirely. This ability could be countered/inhibited by a building or their attack could be very low. Another idea would be to have alternate spawn points that could be randomized. These could be in the sky or in the background, the latter might resort in another set up and stagnate playstyle. All of these should be adjustable to a degree as not everyone would want to deal with it. I end up building little outposts around all my important buildings, and am a little saddened to have one side be perpetually assaulted while the other lays in disuse.

Anyway it goes, I have massive faith for the future of this game. What is here now is stupendous, I can’t personally wait for the next update!

3 Likes

Somehow I keep thinking about local multiplayer co-op or something controlling multiple characters.
I was thinking to adding “rechargeable battery”-skill thing into my worldbuilding project.

1 Like

Maybe a sequel for the game could be like a top down, factorio-esque version of the original game, which could work well in multiplayer.

8 Likes

I just thinking about that same thing for my game project

1 Like

tbh, from playing the game, i had thought of a lot of ideas, in fact, i have enough ideas for a sequel for this game, though, i don’t have the coding knowledge to make it all into said sequel, which sucks, so, Chubberdy, if you’re interested, i would gladly share my ideas with ya

1 Like

No guarantees any of it will end up in a sequel, but I always like hearing people’s ideas!

4 Likes

well, my ideas were maybe something that’s based after the one of the endings of this game, where the player would explore space, and it would a progression type game that revolves around the mechanics of this game, but there’s more things that generate power, and higher tiers of stuff, and even stuff for the ship, and the character can be upgraded still, but it’s only on the ship, along with the research being on the ship as well, and it being in 3d (optional), and maybe a reward for playing on higher difficulties, and that depending on what ending the player started from in this game, they would get more or less energy to start with, for example, if someone went from the first ending, second pic, they would start with less energy, then if someone went from the final image of the first endng

p.s. you can probably tell i wasn’t kidding about having enough ideas for a full game, also, for the higher tiers, i already have ideas for some of the generators

4 Likes

How many resets or rebirths are possible? I’ve already done 2 and I want to see what is the absolute biggest possible size in the game.

1 Like

Technically there is no limit, but the screen does eventually stop zooming out. Sound gets pretty wonky after a while too since the pitch just gets lower and lower.

4 Likes

Ok, let me better rephrase this, what is the biggest sprite (as in fattest) that the game has? As in, the one where the character’s face is startinng to sink and all, is that the biggest one but the game re-scales it with every rebirth?

i’m going answer this for chubberdy, and say, yes, that is the fattest sprite in the game currently

1 Like