Starbound Big Fatties Add-Ons - Expanding Clothes and other small additions

SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES!~ :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

When will slime be implemented?

why do people ask this when they virtually just announced these things
it’s not like you can just push a button and get content

1 Like

Progress update on the slimes: I cobbled together a second, smaller size. The bigger slimes now split into smaller slimes upon death. The smallest slimes of course don’t spawn anything new.

Here comes the kicker though: How many smaller slimes spawn depends on how much of itself the big slime managed to feed you. A slime completely eaten up won’t spawn any offspring, a slime only beaten to death will spawn it’s full health/weight in smaller slimes (currently 5, will probably change).

This will be it for today. At this rate the mod should be (functionally) finished some time during the weekend.

For those who want a hands-on experience, here is the current state of the mod. The slimes don’t spawn naturally, you have to use /spawnmonster feederslime (or feederslimemini) to bring them in.

My plan is to have 3-4 sizes to enjoy, each splitting into the next smaller one. I might also rethink the feeding mechanic, as it can get quite laggy with many slimes active.

Anyway, enjoy this preview and I’m open for critique. The sprites will be prettied up in the end, so don’t expect masterpieces right now.

3 Likes

Here we go again: Slimes for everyone!

First of all, I took inspiration from Francois on the server and made the slimes jelly-themed. This includes a name change and also color options. There are currently only two colors (lime and purple, don’t know why these ones, honestly), but the palette can be expanded very easily.
In other news: I added a third size, larger this time. Big slimes split into 3 normal sized ones, and normal slimes into 4 small ones. The new slimes retain the color of the original slime.
The names for spawning the different sizes in are now jellyslimemini, jellyslimenormal, and jellyslimebig.
I also changed how the feeding works. It should be less laggy now, and allows for different feeding speeds.

For now, I would really like some feedback on the mechanics and the balancing.

What remains to be done is A) adding them to the spawn pools, so they can show up naturally and B) making proper sprites for these guys. If anyone wants to take shot at the latter, I would really appreciate the help.

4 Likes

add them to the slime biome enemy pool and make them pretty common there. then, make them rarer in other biomes

1 Like

these are all pretty great, my dude. thanks for your work

question: if slimes are in now are you going to make a boss slime?

1 Like

to be frank the jellyboss exists, might as well recycle that.

re-animating it’s minions would be a pain though

Alright, next update: Big Fatties - Jelly Slimes.zip (6.8 KB)

Slimes now spawn naturally. I tried to place them in somewhat logical biomes, but I may have missed some.

Full list of spawn locations
  • Lush / garden planets: small slimes
  • Forest planets: small slimes, or small groups with some medium ones
  • Jungle planets: medium slimes, sometimes together with small ones
  • Bioluminescent & swamp mini-biomes: same as jungle
  • Colourful & oasis mini-biomes: only medium slimes, alone or in pairs
  • Luminous caves: medium or big slimes, usually single, mediums maybe in pairs
  • Wilderness caves: same as jungle
  • Slime caves: single big slimes, or larger groups with all sizes present

A special treat for all you gluttons out there: The slimes can now be interacted with to manually take a bite out of them. This is more effective than letting the slime do all the work, but be careful how much you stuff yourself. As the slime’s health scales with difficulty, they get more “mass” on heigher tier planets. A single big slime from a tier 6 planet, eaten up manually, puts you from completely slim to almost “extra fatty”. A second one already renders you immobile (not fully stuffed, though).

Apart from that, I finally remembered the elemental resistances. Slimes are now immune to the poison effect, resistent to poison type attacks, but weak to ice attacks.

2 Likes

The jelly boss has been removed completely, nothing left of it in the game files. I think you’d need a beta version of the game to even look at its files, not even mentioning compatibility with the release version.

Also, from the images on the wiki, it seems more like a jellyfish, not like the food jelly. Same for its minions. It just seems off to me to draw a connection between those two things.

The general idea of a boss is sure entertaining, but it would include much more work, considering spawning behavior and maybe even custom behavior / attack patterns. At the moment, this would be too much for me.

What I could give you right now would be an even bigger slime size to stack on top of the current hierarchy, but I don’t think this would be a proper solution.

They actually do seem to be jelly based. If what’s mentioned in the old codex about them says. And after all, you did lure that boss out with peanut butter. So the slimes could just have a, jelly like coat of paint alternative to go with a more, traditional slime look.

The old codex basically said that, yes, The commander of the base was sick of the stupid split of “Is it JAM or is it JELLY” and just called the damned thing Brian
You should still be able to rip the animation frames from the GIF though given the proper sites or programs that would unpack it into individual images

Again: The sprites are not the main problem. The most important things (plural) are what differentiates a boss monster from regular monsters. There are things like spawn behavior (Use a lure item or give it even it’s own instance? Maybe spawn it in a mini-dungeon?), attack behavior (attack types, attack sequence, multiple stages?), and probably quite some behind-the-scenes stuff. It takes time to find ideas, look up how to do things and then cram those ideas into something the game can cope with. Currently, I am not willing to go through all this hassle, sorry. Maybe once I know how to mod things properly.

3 Likes

Found a bug with the slimes. You can capture them, but upon returning one to a capture pod, they spawn about 50 smaller slimes, which can heavily lag the game. (The happened when my friend caught a medium jelly slime and returned it.)

Interesting. I explicitely set them to not be capturable. Do you use any mods that changes capturing behavior?

The ‘Any Capture Reloaded’ mod, I believe.
That might be the issue.

I experimented a bit. The slimes behave weirdly when captured, so it’s probably for the best that you can’t / shouldn’t capture them.

The main issue is the calculation how much new slimes should be spawned. It takes the actual max HP of the dead slime, and the supposed HP of the new slimes based on level. When captured, the pets receive the (additive) health bonuses of the player’s armor, and can therefore spawn more offspring. Add to that, that all pets are considered level 1 monsters with a x0.45 to max HP, and you get the mentioned slime infestation.

Right, thank you for the help! I’ll let my friend know to beware of that.
…or just tell them to eat 'em all. Guess I accidentally made a fattening bomb, huh?

would it be possible at all to have the busty models work with the expanding clothes at all?