The Fertile Farm

I’m planning on releasing a final bug fix build this weekend. Again, thank you all for giving the game a try and letting me know where the bugs are.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this guide! I’m terrible at optimizing games like this, and even late game, I felt like I was often coming up net negative on money each crop cycle after replenishing seeds and cooking.

Have you done the math on which crops yield the best ROI? I wasn’t paying close enough attention, and the variable yield makes it kind of complicated.

Does weather actually matter? Because it’d be neat if rain could take away the need to water plants, for example, but from what I can tell, it has no real effect.

It seems from my experience that rain increases the chance to get muddy, but I was curious about the watering aspect too.

Comparing planting cost and growth time to sale price, and assuming a flat yield of 3 per row, Carrots are more profitable than Cabbage, and Cabbage more profitable than Grapes - but only if you have the energy to replant them consistently. (I haven’t done research into the average yields of the crops, but this seems to hold true in practice, so it’s what I run with.) The best thing you can do is keep your fields full with whichever of these crops is manageable with your Clara’s Max Stamina levels.

Wheat, Melons, and Pumpkins are easily the worst for profit, because Wheat sells for less than Cabbage despite costing the same for seeds, and Pumpkins + Melons only yield 1 fruit per row, making them better suited for food crops. Since growing them does cut down on overall farm maintenance time, my Clara gets a regular supply of Pumpkin Pies. :wink:

Also, avoid using the field on the mining hill for carrots. Wheat is bugged, but manageable, since one of the rows just grows faster. Carrots, OTOH, are bugged in a way that makes them take longer to grow in some rows.

1 Like

Maybe I’m an idiot but I can’t figure out how to craft anything. Also, how do some screenshots have a full body picture of the character?

Crafting is done at the bench or kitchen counter, near the door out of the house (one on each side, facing away). The full body picture is found by toggling “CG” on in the menu you can open in you bedroom, by using the mirror.

When I click on any of those nothing happens. Is there a checkpoint I need to hit first or something?

Make sure you click on the tile in front of interactive objects like that as well as on the object itself. RPGM is funny with that sometimes.

Okay I have Yew Wood but I cannot change it to Lumber.

1 Like

Where the heck did you even get Yew Wood?

Use iron axe to remove tree behind chicken coop, make another iron axe and then climb the vine to get to the top part of the map. to the right is a dead looking tree you can chop for yew once a day.

Not that you can use it right now, but it exists.

@PreggoPixels which version of RPG Maker did you build this in? was it MV? I’m getting an infinite “now loading” screen, but I know I’ll probably need to do some special config because Linux.

It was build in rpg maker MV. I’m working on a bug fix update and will likely have it out tommorow.

Wow a fast response. For some reason, RPGM MV seems to cause a lot of problems based on what I found online. There’s no RTP for it, so that might be why. I have RPGM VXAce myself so I know that some resources don’t work well between the different RPGM versions. Thanks for looking into it so quickly.

It not having an RTP is not the issue. In fact, basically all MV/MZ games has all the RTP pieces pre-installed, if the dev didn’t painstakingly exorcised them out.
MV is just naturally buggy and always has been, from start to finish.

Updated the game with several bug fixes as well as community feedback changes.
Also changed to use itch.io as a central distributing platform across my different social media accounts.
(That way I don’t have to share my google doc/mega links everywhere.)

4 Likes

!!! Super excited to dig into this! (Hopefully not to find more bugs, lol.)

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. RPGMaker games used to be great and easy to run. One of these days i’ll have to actually finish a game. I always stop because I need to create assets.

I felt the tension of tools breaking was interesting but it’s definitely a much nicer experience building up and getting funds with the changes. Haven’t gotten any of the final tools built yet but the bug fixes and the CG room are very appreciated!

So far I’ve found the CG doesn’t still automatically update when you breastfeed, but turning it off and on again does fix it.

Overall, I really enjoy the laid back pace to it.

1 Like