The Weight Gain Trading Card Game! - WIP, needs name

I have pretty below-basic knowledge, so I will need to study up - and probably recieve help

This might be a little over-complicated. It’s basically a mish-mosh of Yugioh, Magic: the Gathering, and Hearthstone, and it might suffer a (diluted) mix of all the problems of those games. Also, your example card has a subtype you didn’t list. :stuck_out_tongue:

With that out of the way, it would be cool to see some version of this idea actually come out - but might be best done by either throwing money around at commissioning and showing off art (from all your favorite fat/expansion artists), or by somehow convincing a wide variety to get in on this (which you definitely could not monetize, if that’s a goal, then). Also, I imagine this game would automatically have a bit of meta, unlike most: evolve, because they’re bigger. Yes, getting bigger monsters (or making them bigger) on the field is always a good thing in the other games…but there are normally decks built around just rushing people down with the wee baby ones. This will probably see a disproportionate amount of people chanting the ‘bigger is better’ mantra, instead of playing a ‘weenie rush’. This is, of course, provided that you ‘life’ in the game isn’t based on your avatar’s ability to hold any more food, and being ‘hurt’ by the enemies monsters isn’t getting stuffed…then some people would probably love to ‘rush weenies’ into their enemies faces (yes, it was intended, even planned), and some might try anything they can to build decks to dip as close to losing as they can. Heck, it would likely have people being a lot less salty about losing, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel like an avatar (especially customizable) could only help a project like this, given everything I just mentioned. You might also want to find ways to make the gameplay simpler - maybe even more unique. Also, might I suggest the actual tastes the tongue can detect for “flavors,” instead of rough food types and actual tastes mixed together? In other words: salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami (savory) would be the “flavors,” instead of sweets, fruits and veggies, meats, snacks, and drinks. Maybe Sweet to replace Meats (big appeal, lots of calories, too much can turn on you and make you feel sick), Salty to replace Snacks (because snacks normally are, and salty is the most common craving, instead of taking it in the ‘you’re being salty’ direction), Bitter for Fruits and Veggies (because it’s a more ‘refined’ taste, which sometimes takes getting used to, so it’s like a slow enjoyment), Sour for Sweets (hits fast, doesn’t last, cleanses the palate), Umami for Drinks (umami is the taste that takes more to extract it from things, sometimes needs cultivation, but packs a real flavor punch when you get it right - like fermenting soy or fish to make things like soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce).

Oh, and just like succubi seem obvious for demons, vampires seem an obvious sub-type for undead.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the input, I really appreciate that! Real quick:

• Yea, it’s a scattered amalgam of those games, I pulled from games I like lol.
  • I intentionally did not go with the tongue flavors because I just don’t think sour or bitter as flavors offer interesting enough design philosophies, and are generally less popular than their contemporaries in the West regardless. I wanted types of food to be the general vibe of the decks since Food is the mana equivalent
  • Well not ALL cards will have evolutions, so many “weenie” cards would be chubby or even fat, if that is their only stage.
  • The subtypes listed were examples, those were not intended to be the complete list of all sub-types ever, such as vampire and succubus were both planned but I just felt I’d had enough examples. As well, I wrote this exact statement above the type list. Also, I didn’t list a single human subtype, but I planned on having some subtypes for humans if I did enough thematically similar normie people, like spellcasters/mages or something.
1 Like

I did see that you said it wasn’t a complete list - I suppose I just thought it weird you left out one you showed elsewhere, and one commonly used in everything (including expansion themes). Maybe it’s just my mind going ‘I’d normally try to use the example to develop interest, so I’d list the most popular, if anything’. Not that it really matters - just different thinking, I guess.

I feel like most Western people just don’t know they like things in the groups like sour and bitter - even if they really do, given what sells. Sour candies are huge, as are basically any snacks with some vinegar content (salt and vinegar chips, pickles, etc.) or citrus. Bitter things are maybe the ‘least’ popular, besides things that are bitter, yet have the bitterness masked - like chocolate and coffee. But, I’m not the one thinking about making the game, so there’s really no reason for me to try to push the idea further than ‘here’s something I think makes more sense,’ followed by ‘here’s my reasoning in counterpoint to your response’. It’ll be interesting to see where this project goes, regardless.

As far the the evolution, and ‘weenie’ cards not having them…maybe I’m just too big into gaining and expansion, instead of just bigness, and didn’t consider some people’s interest isn’t so much in ‘make them bigger’ as it is ‘I just want them to be bigger than small’. Well, guess I showed my…hand…in what sort of playstyle I’d go with…

1 Like

here’s a title my friend, The Fatyioh Weighting Card Game

1 Like

How about Pound Packs when you buy more cards?
As for the name of the game… How about Sweet hand?

1 Like

I appreciate the input everybody! Most likely will not ve doing a yugioh pun lol, and I might avoid “Sweet” since that likely will be just one aspect of the game, whether I go with food types or flavors.

How about Gathering Weight: The Card Game?

Also, that spoiler card you posted looks amazing. Veryyyyyyyy keen for more

I’m not too sure I wanna lean in on any direct parody for the title, since it borrows from a few, so I don’t wanna scare off other fans/insinuate that it will be more like Magic than anything else to Magic fans.

Also thanks lol that “card” is a pretty scuffed mockup, and the art is NOT final because I don’t want to be stealing art for the project, that was there purely for an example piece.

One of the discord server’s amazing members put this together as a cleaner version, and I definetly think its a good direction

2 Likes

Holy moly! Now that is fineeeeee.

Did you settle on the engine you wanted to use for the game?

not at all haha, apologies, this is still in the “ideas” phase for a reason

I look forward to this being playable

also your invite link has expired

1 Like

My apologies, it’s been some time since I’ve worked on this project. IRL stuff and the other game I’m more actively working on have taken priority. I have concepts for this WIP, but I need artists and, if we’re going with a digital card game, need some help in that development realm.

1 Like

its alright mate, the last year has been difficult for a lot of people and i dont hold anything that had happened against you.

in regards to a development team, i have a background in 2d and 3d visual work, may i be of help with this game?

1 Like

Oh my gosh yea that’d be awesome. If you specifically like this then I’d love to work with you on art design for cards, and really any other input you have.

alrighty then, would you like an example piece of my style?

if so, what would you like it to be?

1 Like

Hmm well I think just a pretty basic idea based on the rules system I’d been working on for this card game

could you draw like a demon girl with some kind of weapon or action pose and magic, but at 2 different weights/fatness levels? Heck, maybe a different emotion/expression between the two.

ok, ill come with a few designs ready for you in a couple of days

where should i drop off the final pics?

1 Like

Add me on discord DukeOfKalos#3232

We can talk more there/send me stuff. I’d direct you to the server but it needs a major overhaul (coming soon) so I’d rather just talk in DMs for now.

1 Like

so do most TCG’s on paper, but when you play a few games you begin to understand.