Thicker Treat: A WG Dating Sim (v.0.4.5 with Sakura's new scenes now out for Patreons, 0.2.2 is public)

I’d love to actually finish something, but for now, I’m focusing on helping anyone that needs Ren’Py support whenever I can.

If I could, I would absolutely teach a class on how to use VSCode with Ren’Py and how to set up a basic game with multiple files, various screens, and how to use objects and dictionaries in Python to store data instead of using hundreds of variables that get slapped onto a long list in script.rpy.

2 Likes

Super good game. Characters are just the right amount of realistic. Sprites are beautiful. The events are done well.

1 Like

@thekak Thanks! Nice to hear you enjoyed it.

@jarlewski Man, if it wasn’t for your OOP advice at the start of development, this game would hardly be past the second build. I guess I should check out VSCode as @synchronicooze kindly recommended as well. I love Atom alright, but it’s starting to get glitchy without new software updates.

@Bladerune9 Paint? Too advanced. All cool developers nowadays code in binary :face_with_monocle:

A couple of news for everyone visiting the thread:

Considering that the August update came out late in the game, I released some additional Sakura content to make up for it until the October release is out in the second half of the month. There’s a new WG stage, a new midscene, and some changes to a couple of locations. (As always, the download link is available on Patreon.)

12 Likes

You’re doing good work and deserve the support. (And if you need anything else, give a yell.) VSCode can be a lifesaver, especially if you add in Github/Bitbucket for version control. (It’s free, and you can have tons of backups easily.)

I really should make some sort of “so you want to make a RenPy game about fat girls” primer at this point.

1 Like

I was subscribed october but cancelled november due to saving money for christmas, i am not asking when the update will come out, as it will be out when its out, i just would like some information regarding the game, either progress report, if theres an issue etc as theres very little information on patreon from november. i just believe it would be better if there was more communication between the developer and people supporting the project on patreon or are interested on here

8 Likes

New previews on patreon look great, are they higher resolution than prior game images? Or is the extra sharpness and detail only in my imagination?

3 Likes

I have some news regarding development and the need to hit pause on the Patreon page. You can read more here.

12 Likes

This sucks, but it’s the exact same choice I’d make in your place.

I’m sorry to hear your news. I was waiting to subscribe until version 0.5 came out. I was wondering if there was any way I could subscribe to have access to it?

1 Like

That’s too bad, I really like this game.

2 Likes

Obv sad news, but what you’re doing is probably the best option.

Still looking forward to any future updates even if they’re few and far between! As far as I’m concerned we already have a good game now, any future stuff is bonus.

Sorry to ear that. I’m not a Patron, but I really liked your game (one of my favorites on this site) and I’m really happy you didn’t cancel the project, just slowed down the development. You did the right thing, you can’t do really anything about it if your company loves invading their employees privacy. Best of luck :+1:

3 Likes

I wanted to give you one last 5$ subscription before the year ended, but it looks like you’ve already disabled it?

Well this fcking sucks

Take your time Voca, unwind a bit on this holiday season and take your time reviewing your options for the your future and this game’s.

All in all, Happy Holidays guys

Can switching to Ko-fi platform solve your problem?

This is really something that probably doesn’t apply to your country but I used to work as HR in a company that also asked our employees to report external income. The fact was that our ability to see what an employee was actually doing outside of work hours was extremely limited (rightfully so, I did not enjoy enforcing those rules) have you considered what your obligation as and rights as an employee are? I’m not exactly sure what your situation is but I’d hate to see such a good project be hindered if it can be avoided.

Don’t take this as legal advice, but maybe ask with the relevant people in your company exactly what they need before you hurt your prospects. Unless you already have. You know more about your situation than I do.

4 Likes

Nope. It’s a rule about not moonlighting in a way that could negatively impact your corporate overlord. It’s also perceptual, and based on the IRS. There’s no legal way to give someone money without telling the IRS.

I just wish we could pay or support for the most recent version. While it can be argued that he can’t accept money in 2023, it’s still 2022. Money made from a side gig doesn’t apply yet so he’s technically still fine. It honestly just feels like some of us came a bit too late and are now no longer able to do anything.

5 Likes

There has to be some loophole though. Something that’s legal but won’t embarrass him or get him in trouble with his job. Hmm. What about an identical side project? Like a renpy game with just text about an ordinary vanilla romance story? I doubt his job would disapprove of such a safe for work thing and it would allow him to keep a Patreon(this other project would
use a different account and name). Is that a good idea?

There’s no way to be honest and legal and earn an income without anyone finding out.

The only loophole would’ve been to take donations this final week of december, but well time is running out on that. I wanted to give an extra 5$ this final week just to show appreciation (I’ve suporrted once or twice in the past, but I would’ve contributed more if I had known there was a deadline on contributions.)

1 Like