Voracious Riches

This game was an instant favorite of mine, the gameplay loop is quick and satisfying. I think the one balancing thing that would add a lot would be increasing the fwoomph levels each party member can reach before capping by 1, then bumping up how much damage all the enemies do.

There’s a lot of cool fwoomph related healing cards but they’re hard to use at times and currently most stuff doesn’t damage enough to need em anyways.

That being said, for a game made in two weeks it feels good to play. The UI is workable and there are descriptions for what every effect does. I’d love to see this get more updates tbh

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I will actually say this now, in case anyone wanted to know - if I were to update this game with actual content, I’d actually prefer remaking it entirely from the ground up and making it much bigger in scope. It’d of course keep the same concept , but that way I wouldn’t be patch-working a hastily made game jam project. For now, though, I have other game ideas I want to make~

I don’t remember, sorry.

This is an excellent idea for a game! I personally found it to be a little annoyingly over-difficult (Which I suppose is the point due to the Memories system, but generally I prefer for all power upgrades to be within a run with unlocks outside). Main issue I ran into constantly was being unable to attack since you can’t seem to skip card drops ala Slay the Spire, to the point where seeing a default Smash card in loot was like the holy grail. I feel like the game could use better tutorialization too, I still haven’t quite figured out how the deck behaves, and I think 1 additional stage for everybody (or changing it being an instant fail state, but I’m not inherently opposed to it being one) would probably be good, some enemy layouts can practically one-turn you if you get unlucky with their targeting.

Overall this was a great experience, definitely one of the highlights of this jam. If you do decide to make this a fuller experience, I’d love to see it!

2 Likes

Likely to be my runner up for second favourite game in this jam so far! (Still need to play a couple more games.). There’s a lot of charm and the gameplay is interesting, but it definitely needs some polishing to make it truly enjoyable.

Beginning with my favourite part, I love the floomph system. Seeing the increasing stages of expansion on the characters is a treat, and nice extra detail with the lust cards changing per floomph. All the card art as well is adorable and love all the flavour that’s communicated through them.

The idea of stopping any draws from angel or devil by letting them remain at 4 stages is an interesting idea and the mechanics are solid. However there is definitely some tuning to be done with the card balance. Right now, major issue is there is far too many situation niche cards, or buff/debuff cards that bury the cards that actually help you win, the damage cards, to near obscurity. The succubus has zero damage cards, angel has 2 with rapture and the expansion release, but both of those are unnaffected by the perk/memories that buff damage since it only applies to knight. And knight has the smash, obliterate card, and the retaliate one which is dubiously useful due to being unable to see what enemies intend to do. Adding to the fact that you only draw 4 cards, and can play 2 with no ways to increase either, it’s not really effective to be playing any of these situational cards. In fact, I found the best strat to be just let angel and succubus be maxed out and just ignore anything but damage. Which I think is tragic when there’s a lot of fun card ideas here.

My personal suggestion is to bump up the amount of cards drawn to diminish the amount “dead” hands you get where you just do nothing but defend up and pass. Perhaps 6 would work. Additionally, increase the amount of cards you can play any 2, and either 1 succubus or 1 angel card. This would allow a lot more wiggle room in my opinion to experiment and use their cards while still allowing you to put damage on enemies.

Otherwise, there’s just some small details that I know aren’t in due to time constraints. Being able to increase window size, see the exact health of enemies, see enemy intents ala Slay The Spire, a bit more in depth tutorial with how consumables work, and cleaning up deck viewer by just having a card be shown once with a number saying how many copies there are. It’d make the game feel better, but these suggestions are by no means essential I would say (With maybe the exception of intents perhaps.)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I fixed it either way, so don’t worry, hon!

An idea I was actually toying with after the fact was making it so the decks were split entirely - Knight having one, Succ having one, Angel having one. Your hand would comprise of 4 cards, being one of each no matter what, and the fourth one being a random draw from all three decks. This way you’d be way more likely to at least one of the options you need every turn, as just drawing a ton of Succ/Angel/Consumable cards at once isn’t very helpful.

If I do a rehaul of the game, I will certainly take a lot of your words into account, as you make some very good points. And yeah, a lot of tutorial stuff had to go out the window due to the game jam deadline. And an intent system actually sounds like it’d be interesting - especially if I added mechanics around it, like purposefully making an enemy angry to make it so they only attack, etc. Setting up Riposte combos would require some balancing, though.

Either way, thank you for the critiques! All very valid, and I appreciate that anyone is invested in this enough to give them!

2 Likes

I will say it is quite a nice game, just a couple of issues here and there. Some bugs and crashes occur when you play the temptation remover potion or occasionally a fwoomp remover card with a temptation card in your hand (The fwoomp downsizer cards tend to happen from time to time but isn’t as frequent nor consistent as the temptation remover potion).

Bugs and crashes aside, I do feel like that some of the cards get more weighting during the drops than other cards as well as the deck becoming a bit a bit problematic with the used potions reappearing in the hand when it feels like they should have been discarded after being played. I like the Slay the Spire kind of vibe with your game, but a recommendation to make the most of the “Use it or lose it” kind of feel by discarding both played and unused cards at the end of each turn, which can concentrate the deck so you can find those cards you’re looking for with the potion/junk cards being removed from your deck entirely and the other cards being reshuffled back into your deck at the end of every fight. Navigation also is something that comes to mind as when you move from room to room, you will be able to see the center of the map, but that’s not always where your character may be, especially noticeable on the bigger maps.

Many of the cards are nice, but there are plenty of other cards you could consider if you do ultimately decided to continue developing the game after the Gain Jam such as a card to give you insight to the enemy’s next move or a card that sacrifices block to empower your next attack. From the ideas of the trapped chests, I like the idea of a risk/reward option choice and I feel that you could extend it to the moving tiles where each tile can also be a risk of being fwoomped. Also the gold used for beating both the boss and the secret boss could have a use in giving the player a permanent additional card of their choosing to their deck from a selected list of cards similar to the reward drop system.

Overall, I like the game and I do hope you’ll continue to develop it long after the gain jam. It’s got that kind of vibe that no other game on this site can give you and it really stands out as one of the unique card games on this site as well.

1 Like

I was going to attempt to think of something for the gold to be used for, but unfortunately was near the end of the game jam in terms of development, so I ran out of time.

Also you can drag the map! Unless I screwed something up, there should be text that shows up when you appear on any second floor that says so.

Is there any chance for a larger or full screen window?

Also this is among one of my favorite Gain Jam games, it’s really up there with Manic Mimic and Feastars.

Updated the game just now to include it! Unfortunately due to the pixelated nature of the game, being in fullscreen will cause it to look a little crusty, and I unfortunately just don’t have a good solution to this.

1 Like

I absolutely love this game, SomeoneInflative! I can’t wait to see what updates are ahead for it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

this might be only on my end, but every time i start a run on the newest version(with and without savedata) i get a lot of fat transfering, adding and losing weight cards and only 1 rupture card in my deck.
because there is only 1 rupture card, it just barely shows up to do 3 damage to a single slime that can heal itself by 2 every turn it feels like it. spend 15 to 20 minutes fighting 1 slime and not even getting 1 additional attack card.(also just went back to the old version and did not have any problems.)

still fun tho.

1 Like

Nope, not just you. One-third of my deck is comprised of nothing but the card “Expandus Balancia” which just transfers fwoomp with only one offensive card, “Rapture”, like you. Started from scratch thinking that my save was messed up somehow. Oof! XD Hopefully it can get fixed soon.

Anyone else having an issue where the cursor seems to be selecting above where it is on the screen? For example, the mouse is on the health bar to click on Passives, and I can’t click on Options or Help because I would need to be off the screen onto the taskbar to select them.

Edit: Also getting the issue of the deck being messed up with only a single attack card. This is all on the updated version of the game.

Let me come to the rescue for those who don’t have the previous version. Here’s the previous version prior to the new update, for those who either just downloaded it or those who updated the game and deleted the previous version.

I much appreciate the fast response to this! The crusty look gives it a good vibe, I assure you! Thank you for sharing this wonderful little game with us!

I appear to have made a grievous and accidentally saved a debug version I was using as the ACTUAL game version, which is why the starting deck is basically un-usable. Will fix now. Apologies, everyone!

1 Like

Just fixed this. I accidentally updated the game with the debug version instead of the playable version, but now it should be all good. Sorry about the wasted time!

2 Likes

I will say, this have to be my fav pick of the entire gain jam! Yeah, it’s hard and I really shouldn’t have the mentality of “go through every room and open every chest even though it COULD be trapped”, those left me in a fair share of troubled situations lol. But nonetheless, it’s a fun time to just go through, see how far you can get and replay it over and over. It may be hard, but it does get easier over time which I love in games. I also love to hear that you are planning on coming back to this game after the jam, but for the love of goodness take a break before doing so. You deserve the rest for making a great game like this in a short time period.

2 Likes