Voracious Riches

Oh absolutely I’m gonna take a break, lol

I actually have plans for doing a VN right now! Something far more relaxed, far more smut-based. Will be posting about it soon enough!

2 Likes

I keep getting this error when I try to play a “clear temptation” consumable, and I also got it against a statuette and green slime when using Rapture. Loving the game otherwise, and I’ll have some proper critiques when I beat it.

This one is definitely one of the standouts from the jam for me. I’ve never played Slay the Spire or games like it, but this game almost makes me want to start. One of the few examples this time around of a game I wanted to keep playing even after seeing all the content. Both for the gameplay, and the fetish aspects.

To start with the mechanics, it’s obviously not perfect, but the game’s mechanics are fairly tight and well-considered given the time you had. Most of the cards of the game are fairly solid, and quite a few of them have really good synergy in a way you want cards like this to have. Most of this ended up surrounding the “foomp” tokens, like with transfer, girthquake, and other similar cards. As a result, while I did have some situations where my turn was basically worthless (even without temptation or junk) most of the time I was fairly satisfied with my ability to control battles. The enemies having consistent patters also makes things a bit more controlled and gives battles a rhythm I enjoyed. I also appreciate many of the passives being more than just simple damage up abilities. Many passives end up changing how the player, well, plays. My favorite definitely had to be the one that made Foomp stages increase knight’s damage. I’m also a fan of the sudo 3-party system the game has going. Mechanics wise, it helps separate cards into understandable categories and presents a downside to them having too much foomp. As for the asthetics of that, well, I’ll get to it.

Though, of course, there are some issues. Some cards just aren’t very useful thanks to the way certain battles played out. I don’t think I ever used the cleanse card, for example. Too few enemies use a non-temptation debuff on knight, and when they did, I often ended up getting the cleansing item instead, which is just better. I also think certain cards often don’t do enough or give the player enough options to make them better. The angel’s few attack cards, for example, have a bit too little oomph behind them imo. I really like the design of the one that spends oomph to deal damage, but it does so little that I quickly abandoned using it.

Now, while I really liked the mechanics, a lot of the smaller aesthetics surrounding everything were really the cherry on top for me. Even with the game’s little dialogue (most of which was dedicated to establishing the base premise) there’s so much storytelling and character work that ends up happening through the limited artwork, what cards are used, and what certain enemies do. The temptation “cards” in particular are just… mhh. Shout out to my favorite enemy, those statues. I’m gonna be thinking about those things for a good while.

I don’t usually like when games use the fetish aspect as a failure state. I think putting what the audience wants behind playing the game poorly just isn’t good design. And, while I still think it here, there’s enough else here that’s done well that I’m willing to give it a pass. Besides, Foomp isn’t strictly bad, so it’s really only half bad anyway.

Regardless, since you said you want to finish this a bit more later on, I wanted to throw some recommendations your way on certain aspects of the game that could use touching up.

• Try to find a different use for Foomp on enemies. Having most enemies treat it the same as temptation is a bit lame and doesn’t really incentivize the players manipulating the enemy’s foomp other than the water spirits. This may end up giving new ideas for cards and how to use them as well.
  • Rebalance some of the cards. Angel’s in particular are often weak. Once I sorta explored everything and tried out all the cards, she basically became a foomp add/remove bot.
  • Add an effect to playing the temptation cards. Not something mechanically significant, just like an animation or graphic of knight giving into that temptation. I think it fits really well with the theming. Animations/graphics for other card effects would also be great, but not strictly necessary. I’m sure you want to be done with this someday, lol

That’s about it for now. Will come back if I have anything else I think of. I’ll probably end up playing the game more later, lol.

1 Like

This is unfortunately a bug involving any method of removing temptation WHILE having a temptation card in your inventory. It causes temptation to be removed from the deck, despite that fact that the game is still calling for it to be shown visually.

I may or may not fix this, as I’d have to look into how to do so, but it might take me a bit to get to it as I’ve just been hit by a TON of commissions on my art stuff.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this in-depth review! I was particularly proud of managing to convey the cuteness of the characters through the card art, ye, ESPECIALLY Succubus’s and Knight’s “relationship.” And yes, the temptation card art was very fun to make~

Fun fact, btw: I actually DID want to add more unique behaviors to the enemies, especially regarding fwoomp stages and temptation. The Statuettes were actually supposed to be fwoompable, but rather than distracting them and lowering their damage, it would actually make their damage go up, and would allow for stronger abilities. Another idea was that if a bigger slime was fwoomped enough, they’d “burst” apart into smaller slimes, all of split health of what was the original’s. These were cut in the need of time, obviously, but are definitely things I’d revisit when I get back to thinking about this game.

And I DID want to make the temptation cards do something, but the only idea I had involved art, which was obviously the most cut part of this entire project. Would also definitely be something I’d revisit as well~

1 Like

Yeah, I figured a lot of it was due to time. Important stuff I wanted to mention non-the-less. Take a break man, you’ve earned it, but I’ll be excited to see what you have to show when you return to this project, or any future projects.

As a Slay the Spire fan I loved this. The angel and succubus following the knight and the three subsequent suits of cards was a great spin to the formula! Music was catchy, the art was endearing and the challenge felt decent. A stellar Jam entry!

4 Likes

this is pretty good, most “problems” I have with it is basically “there isn’t more x”

the problems that could reasonably be fix for the jam are that you can’t discard cards in anyway (other than immobilizing the minions, which could be a nice strat but right now it’s not really useful) and fat “damage” can be a bit to dangerous (so I find fat builds are to risky) and it’s hard to get rid of it if the angel gets immobile

I know it was a quick gain jam thing, but I really like the dynamics of an angel, a succubus, and the heavily armored mute they’re travelling with. It’s a fun little game, though I managed to cheese the ‘secret’ boss by stacking cards that offer a +1 to Knight’s stats and then just spamming them until I had an unreasonable number, since he doesn’t attack until you’ve hit him a few times. He just sits there menacingly.

My only gripe are the junk cards. Stop punishing my compulsive addiction to open every chest I see.

2 Likes

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 50.0
Use of Theme: 50.0
Art: 7.9
Writing: 3.8
Music & Sound: 7.5
Mechanics: 8.45
Game Concept 9.4
Use of Fetish 9.2
Judge Preference: 9.4
Wild Cards Attempted: 3.0
Admin Wild Card: 4.2
Patreon Wild Card: 3.0
Community Wild Card: 4.0
Total: 169.85

Alex Score

Category Total
Art: 8.0
Writing: 6.0
Music & Sound: 8.5
Mechanics: 9.0
Game Concept 8.0
Use of Fetish 9.0
Judge Preference: 9.0
Admin Wild Card: 5.0
Patreon Wild Card: 5.0
Community Wild Card: 5.0
Total: 173.0

Roops Score

Category Total
Art: 7.5
Writing: 7.0
Music & Sound: 8.0
Mechanics: 8.0
Game Concept 7.5
Use of Fetish 7.0
Judge Preference: 0.0
Admin Wild Card: 3.0
Patreon Wild Card: 3.0
Community Wild Card: 4.0
Total: 158.0

Final Score: 500.85

Woot, congrats @SomeoneInflative.

1 Like

is there actually vore in this game or is the title misleading :smiling_face_with_tear:

iirc there isn’t, it’s voracious being used as a term for incredibly hungry/greedy.

3 Likes

yknow, i’m not sure how i forgot there was another meaning for the word, lol. thank you!

1 Like

without a doubt one of my fav weight gain games! the art style’s adorable, gameplay’s simple and intuitive n all that, fantastic job!

2 Likes

Holy SHIT am I glad to find a game like this

legit is like slay the spire but even more epic

easily my favorite game from the gain jam :]

2 Likes

I spent a good bit trying to think of a good title for this game, and eventually did land on “Voracious Riches” just because I liked the minor-alliteration with the R sound, but the slight worry that people would think that vore was involved did linger.

Actually seeing that worry come to life is honestly funny - and yeah, sorry, there isn’t actually any vore in this.

1 Like

Thank you very much, dear~! Unironically, I’ve never played Slay The Spire, so that connection was actually a complete accident. Fine with it though, seems like a good game to be like

1 Like

Thank you very much~! Love your work as well!

2 Likes

Hey congrats on being a finalist! I played this when you first released and again just now and I can safely say this is my favorite entry from the jam. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

3 Likes