Zenn's Quest for Candy and Car

Hello everyone,

Here is the sequel to my last game The Weight of Your Crimes.

After creating the entirety of the last game in only two weeks for the 2023 game jam, I wanted to see if I could make a simple Halloween themed platformer game within a month… Obviously that didn’t pan out.
Turns out getting a full time job, learning a new game engine, feature creep, and SEVERLY underestimating workloads will add some extra time to a project.

But now after over half a year of development, the game is finally ready!

Download it here:

–Story–

A couple months after our Heroine’s destructive jailbreak (and somehow convincing the court that it was an accident), Zenn and Olivia are now relaxing at home on a late Halloween night. While reminiscing about their great escape, Zenn realizes she never got their car back from the impound lot! Now, being kicked out of the house, she must find a way to pay off the immense storage fees. Luckily, there is a neighborhood full of people willing to help you along your quest (for the right amount of candy~).

–Gameplay–
The game will be a 3D “Casual Collect-a-thon”, meaning it’s more about exploring the town and interacting with it’s inhabitants than difficult platforming.
While traveling around, you will be collecting candy and completing quests for your neighbors with the ultimate goal of getting your car back.
Throughout the game you can unlock costumes for Zenn that will be necessary to progress certain quests, or get out of reach items.

–Features–

I hope you guys enjoy it!

Patch Notes

-Version 1.1
Fixed some major bugs (like costumes carrying over when you pressed new game).
Also added a new feature that allows you to skip dialogue. This should give everyone’s fingers a break.
-Version 1.2
Fixed critical issue introduced in the last patch.
-Version 1.3
Fixed issue where candy would disappear due to how the game was saving when an ending was triggered. (If you were affected by this, please check the Patch v1.3 dev log post for instructions)
-Version 1.4
Fixed issue where the Endings menu was not unlocked after beating the game.
-Version 1.5
Fixed an issue where watching an early ending locked out the others, along with a couple other adjustments.

The full patch notes are listed in the Itch.io page.

34 Likes

its going to be nice to play this sequel when it comes out in halloween

1 Like

Apparently Halloween in June is a thing. So you are technically correct.

I have stuck with couple things: where I cant find the weight thing and wrench. The last thing, as I understand, is here, but MC just cant swim.

If you are trying to find the wrench the first time, it is towards the lake near the spider web. For the second time, it should appear where you took the screenshot. All you need to do is use the devil costume to jump into it.

How do I get the paint? I see a store with a paintbrush as a sign, but I can’t interact with it.

There is a hole in the roof, sealed with planks. Jump on her in a sumo suit and you’re done.

Well, I have two first normal endings and can say the game is fun, but have some bugs:

1. After I start a new game the costumes didnt reset. Even better, I thought, I wont waste time to collect them all. So I collected 108 candies (I want to collect all endings, and I am not sure how much is needed for each, would be glad to know), and got norm ending 2. After that I tried to continue, but all uncollected candies disappeared. I turn the game on once more and tried to continue, only imp costume, the parts of which I have assembled for no reason. I started new game, and I have it (the inp costime) again. Honestly, after this I want to have all endings less…
  2. I am not sure about this one, after I reload the game, the snow has got back again on the roof, so I can have part of sumo costume without finishing mechanic girl quest.
  3. This one is more like a mistake. After giving police girl her candies, her shape didnt change in dialog:

1 Like

I actually really enjoyed this game, the writing was well done and made me have a smile on my face the whole time. Easy recommendation for anyone who wants a very relaxed platformer with fun and cute dialogue!

1 Like
  1. I just uploaded a new version of the game that fixed the bug with the costumes, they were not suppose to carry over when starting a new game.
  2. The snowman bug has been fixed, it should work as intended now.
  3. I cannot seem to replicate the issue with Wilson. Judging from the dialogue in the image, he shouldn’t be at that size yet.

Also if you unlock a harder ending, the previous ones will be unlocked as well.

i may be stupid but i don’t know how to get the 5th costume

If you are going for the True Ending, you can’t speak with Miss Kim about the ghost, preventing you from finishing the final quest and getting it.

Fixed it, new version is up. Sorry for making everyone download this thing half a dozen times.

I lack 40 candies to finish all people questlines, i feel like i checked every possible place, can i somehow use explorer’s outfit to find missing candies?

Yes. If there is any candy left on the map, the compass will point to it.

Hey, I might be dumb but I can’t find any of the other costumes besides the devil the ghost costume in the ghost suit I feel like I’ve played through the game like three times trying to find them but I can’t find them

Sumo outfit is gotten from helping Riley and destroying the snowman. Explorer outfit is gotten from completing the writer’s (I forget her name) quest

Thanks that makes sense but I still haven’t found the wrench. I’ve tried looking for it all over the river but I still can’t find it. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve reloaded the game like a dozen times and even re-download it to see if that would fix anything, but I still can’t find it.

Summary

The wrench is across the river by the wall where they are four rocks and cars. You’ll need to jump between the rocks and into the river to get it. After, it will move down the river toward town and be stuck against the town wall. In general, if you’re stuck, keep talking to people. Some quests don’t continue if you don’t talk to people.

Thank you guys so much for the help I really appreciate the help. It took me forever to find it because I just didn’t know where to look since I didn’t consider those rocks to be a part of the river