NEW VERSION UPDATES
After community voting has ended I’ll be releasing a new version that will hopefully address some of the issues people have reported. Going to list the changes here:
- Saving and loading now works!
- Eva’s stuffed tummy now stays persistent in her portrait animations for the rest of the game (This was a big wishlist one for me, thank so so much to PeachClamNine again for helping me adapt my plugin commands to get this working)
- Defrosted my refrigerator! Not gamedev related but still makes me feel accomplished
- I learnt how to disable dashing. I feel dumb for not know how to disable dashing (not as dumb as you guys for not realising there was a perfect exploit for outrunning Wendy)
Okay! I’m slightly less tired and ready to write a proper description!
Hunger is an RPG/Survival Horror hybrid that makes use of TheGreenKel’s Dragonbones plug-in for character animation and bblizzards Ultramode7 plug-in for a 2.5D look.
You play as Eva, a young heiress who’s just trying to survive thanksgiving dinner (because she is being chased by a wendigo)
Gets a lil’ dark and edgelordy at times so TW for gore, cannibalism, force-feeding, suicide references, stress-inducing gameplay moments and general gallows humour
- Attempted spooks, chills AND spills
- Attempted chuckles, yukyuks and hohos
- Possible to complete the game without engaging in combat
- Multiple endings (or one ending and two overly elaborate game over screens depending on how you view it)
- Oh yeah like one minute of it is kink relevant!
- You know how resident evil did that awesome thing with the typewriter ribbons so even the act of saving your game felt tense and risky? I have done a similar thing in tribute where saving and loading your game is broken due to an unknown plug-in clash, forcing you to play the whole thing in one sitting. I think you’ll agree it’s a great feature for which I should be awarded points if anything what do you mean base functionality is a criteria wait guys no
- Too scary!!
- Exas4000 DEFEATED my supposed-to-be-unwinnable bossfight which was very rude of him. He was greeted with the same cutscene you get when you lose.
- It’s possible to get cornered with no way to escape in the crawlspace. Tbf this is what would happen in a real life Wendigo attack so maybe just think of that section as less ‘gameplay’ and more ‘educational tool’
- DarkToonLink45 reported a reeeeal funky sounding bug that I can’t seem to recreate. It would be good to know what anyone else who’s had this were trying to do when it happened: "So, if you go right for the door that leads to dinner before talking to your friend, you get stuck within a pitch-black room, and if you go back, the game crashes. Or rather, says 'unable to apply ‘resolution’ "
- Nicopossum who drew me a bunch of extra props last minute, they are the reason the top floor of the lodge is furnished. You owe your health items to them!
- PeachClamNine for consistent and inspiring technical help. Both the main plug-ins I built the game around were introduced to me by them.
- Eric Matyas whose stock music I used throughout the game: http://soundimage.org