Hi All, I am one the resident Linux hippies on the forum. One of the issues I have is that even with WINE running a few of the RPG Maker (MV) projects can be a bit difficult. I got Seeds of Destiny and Witch of Gluttony working in WINE, but with no sound. Some of the simpler methods of running the locally didn’t work for me so here is how you can setup a Linux native version.
Step One - Gather your resources
Download the game you want to play, this could be WoG or SoD or some other game. Download NW.js v0.38.2 - for what ever reason this seems to work best for me, not the latest version. Get the standard Linux 64-bit version.
Step 2 - Extraction
Extract nw.js to a new folder, rename the folder something like ‘Name of Game Linux’. Extract the game files, now copy ‘package.json’ and ‘www’ into your new Linux version folder.
Step 3 - Final prep
Make a new blank (text) file called start.sh, open it in a text editor and add ./nw
Save the file. Now check that ‘start.sh’ and ‘nw’ are both executable, you can do this by right clicking, choosing properties and then permissions. This may vary per distro and per desktop environment.
Step 4 - Enjoy
You should now be able to start the game with start.sh. Sound should work and the window should now be resizable.
This should work for other RPGmaker MV games not just the ones mentioned above.
I get a error in MV that says
Failed to load: img/system/Window.png
and in my terminal it says
[26163:26163:0223/192718.494093:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
mesa: for the --simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --amdgpu-atomic-optimizations option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --structurizecfg-skip-uniform-regions option: may only occur zero or one times!
[26166:26174:0223/192718.509138:ERROR:cert_verify_proc_builtin.cc(559)] No net_fetcher for performing AIA chasing.
I use v0.53.1 nowadays, and it works well. (I think that old versions of nwjs no longer work with recent kernels and systemd and other stuff.)
Then I just create symlinks with proper names when I trigger the error and restart game. (Original game runs typically on case insensitive (windows) filesystems, thus it sometimes refers to files with wrong case.)
As an alternative, you can also use xampp. It’s basically a local web server that can be used for development and for running web apps locally. It installs into /opt/lampp. To run RPG Maker games, I copy the contents of the www folder over to a new directory in /opt/lampp/htdocs (e.g. /opt/lampp/htdocs/witchofgluttony). I also change permissions on the new directory (sudo chmod -R a+rwX /opt/lampp/htdocs/directoryname), just to be sure it will work. Then I start the server with sudo /opt/lampp start (although maybe I should be doing sudo /opt/xampp start), and I’m able to use Firefox to connect to localhost/directoryname to access the RPG Maker game.
This has worked for me for the vast majority of RPG Maker projects, MV or otherwise. I think I only remember one or two that didn’t work with this.