How to machine translate Japanese RPG maker games

There has been quite a few new Japanese RPG Maker games that are relevant to Weight Gaming so I figured I would make a guide to help people with playing these games. The two main programs you need are sjisunzip and Translator++.

Sjisunzip is a program which helps with unzipping Japanese games. If you unzip Japanese games normally, it is likely that RPG Maker wont be able to find the correct game files. Sjisunzip helps convert from the Japanese locale to English locale.
You can download Sjisunzip here Release Initial Release (v0.1) · kjerk/sjisunzip · GitHub . To use it just drag the .zip file for the Japanese game onto the .exe found in sjisunzip_v0.1 and it should automatically unzip.

After extracting the game with Sjisunzip, the game should be technically playable with no errors, but still in Japanese. To translate it, you need to download the latest public version of Translator++ which you can find here http://dreamsavior.net/download/ .

Run the Translator++.exe and “Start a New Project” (You can probably ignore any of the updates and missing 3rd party software). Select the Game.exe and it should bring you to screen 2 of my picture. Click on the “Batch translation” button highlighted in picture 2, then click “Translate Now”. After a bit, the game should be fully translated.

Last step is to do text wrapping. Often times the machine translation will have too much text per box for RPG Maker so some of the text isn’t visible. To fix this, right click on the stuff on the left, select all, then right click again and click With XX selected → Wrap texts. You will have to change the Target Column to something other than the Source Column and then you can click Wrap text. Wrap text will make text boxes a little more janky with random end lines put in but it does make all the text readable so it is worth it.
Here a picture that shows the steps a bit better.

edit: I forgot the final step, exporting the translation once you have done all these steps. After translating the game, you must export the translation back to the game folder. The export button is the little box with an arrow pointing up and to the right and is 2 buttons to the left of the batch export button. Select “Export to a Folder” and then find where your game is located. You export to the game’s “www” folder. If everything went well then you should be able to launch the game and English text should pop up.

Please let me know if there are any issues. I apologize for the messy formatting, technical writing is not my strong suit.

29 Likes

Very nice tutorial! I hope that maybe this might help get more RPG maker games translated.

Also as a side note I moved this to Project Help Game Engines as the how to category is for the forums themselves and not game engines.

Is there more to this tutorial? I tried to translate a Japanese game and I didn’t see any change with the text in game. Am I suppose to replace a file? or am I meant to save the project as a new TRANS file and put it somewhere?

Any further help would be great

1 Like

you’re supposed to export after translating + wrapping and replace the game’s data folder with the exported one

1 Like

Whoops, Allom is right you have to export the files into the game folder. I will update the original post shortly.

I can’t seem to figure this out at all. The first thing I downloaded I’m confused on, how do I even use this? I can’t open it OR drag any file onto it

Is this about sjisunzip? Did you unzip the download to find the .exe? One issue I did run into was that it only seemed to work on .zip files so you might have to convert .rar and .7z files.

I believe I did. I could barely tell if sjisunzip was working correctly though.

What do I do if a game doesn’t have a Data folder to replace? I tried the steps as written for a game I found on Pixiv, but the game remains completely in Japanese after doing all the steps. I tried again after downloading the third-party software for Wolf RPG, which is what the game appears to be made in, but the result was the same.

I haven’t done too much with Wolf RPG games but if you have a specific example I could try fiddling with it to see if I can get it working.

Here’s the link to the first game I struggled to translate:
https://mogmogarap.booth.pm/items/2850151?utm_source=pixiv&utm_medium=promotion&utm_campaign=pixiv-promotion&utm_content=work-all_items

If you do figure it out, can you post instructions?

Sorry, had to go out of town, probably can’t look into it until Wednesday

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial. I’m surprised I missed it the first time around. It’s pretty thorough. One piece I didn’t understand is the Context Tool and the Manual Query. From the official docs, it mentions that manual queries combined with the text wrapping can allow for applying different character maximum for the example of text with portraits and not. I’m assuming these queries vary between games, but in a particular one I’m looking at I cannot guess where I can differentiate the different message contexts to do these portrait/no portrait distinctions. Any additional info on this would be great.

For some reason, I can’t seem to get the game to translate either, it gives errors even when I don’t actually translate any of the files. I might fiddle with it some more but the issue could be a multitude of things.

As for Context Tool and Manual Query, your guess is as good as mine. Again, I might look into it when I get more free time but honestly the documentation for the tool is sometimes a bit lacking. I’d recommend going to the f95zone thread on Translator++ and seeing if they have any information.

Sorry I couldn’t be much more help.

1 Like

exported mine to the www file and then launched the game like you said. Nothing changed

1 Like

its good tutorial, i able to translate a short game, but now i translate the long script game, after i translate it and want to play, it shown an error

Initial guess is that you accidentally translated some code and now it gives an error but without more information it is going to be difficult to diagnose.

• Did the game run before you translated it?
  • What version of RPG Maker does the game use?
  • If the game is free I can take a look at it to see if I can get it to translate.

It has been a while since I last did machine translations so I’m a bit rusty

Which game is it?
There aren’t many ready-to-play WG RPGM games that haven’t been translated.
It could be that there might already be a finished TL by myself or someone else.

I’m sorry, I’m using the program you recommended, but when I finish translating it shows multiple damages, any advice?